Meatloaf Cupcakes with Sweet Potato Frosting
These fun meatloaf cupcakes are topped with a sweet potato frosting for a hearty and delicious meal that kids and adults love.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Main
- 1.5-2 pounds of ground beef (grass-fed if possible)
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup almond flour (or enough to thicken- this will depend partially on the fat content of the meat and the texture of the almond flour)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5-6 sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Himilayan Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Finely dice the onion or puree in a blender or food processor.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, eggs, flour, basil, garlic powder, pureed onion, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper and mix by hand until incorporated.
- Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil or butter and evenly divide the mixture into the muffin tins to make 2-3 meat “muffins” per person. If you don’t have a muffin tin, you can just press the mixture into the bottom of an 8x8 or 9x13 baking dish.
- Put into oven on middle rack, and put a baking sheet with a rim under it, in case the oil from the meat happens to spill over (should only happen with fattier meats if at all)
- For sweet potatoes: if they are small enough, you can put them into the oven at the same time, if not you can peel, cube and boil them until soft.
- When meat is almost done, make sure sweet potatoes are cooked by whichever method you prefer, and drain the water if you boiled them.
- Mix with butter and salt or pepper if desired and mash by hand or with an immersion blender.
- Remove meat “muffins” from the oven when they are cooked through and remove from tin. Top each with a dollop of the mashed sweet potatoes to make it look like a cupcake.