- Mashed Potato 1 and 1/2 cup (4 or 5 medium potatoes boiled n mashed)
- Onion 1 medium(finely chopped)
- Carrot 1 small(shredded)
- Cilantro 5-6 sprigs(finely chopped)
- Ginger 2 tsp(finely chopped)
- Besan Flour/Gram Flour/Kadalai Maavu 1 cup
- Rice Flour 2 tbsp
- Chili Powder 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Hing a pinch
- Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water 1 tbsp
- Boil potatoes, then peel the skin and mash it well using potato masher or spoon n keep aside.
- In a bowl, add mashed potato, finely chopped onions, cilantro, ginger, n shredded carrots and mix everything well.
- And in another bowl add all dry ingredients, gram flour, rice flour,salt,chili powder and hing mix well then add the dry ingredients to the potato mixture and combine well.
- Sprinkle water and mix well to a tight dough(will be bit sticky, thats ok but not too much of moisture).
- Now heat oil in a wok/kadai, when its get really hot, pinch a small amount of dough slightly flatten it using finger tips and drop it hot oil.
- Fry in medium high heat, after 1 or 2 minutes turn other side and fry till it turns light golden brown and crisp.
- Once done remove from the oil using slotted ladle and drain the excess oil in paper towel.
- Do repeat the same for all remaining dough.
- That's it...yummy n crispy Potato Fritters ready. Serve With any desired sauce or simply enjoy with ketchup and a cup of Masala Chai or Espresso Coffee.
Instead of chili powder, u can use finely chopped green chilies.
U can also add any desired chopped or grated vegetable to this fritters, like broccoli,cabbage,cauliflower,spinach,beets,etc.
After frying a batch of fritter, wait for a minute to get oil hot again n then start dropping the second batch and fry in medium high heat.
Do not add water than the mentioned amount to the dough mixture, moisture from the potato, onion n carrots itself enough to bind.
If u add more, your fritters won't turn crisp n also it absorbs more oil n turn soggy.
I tried baking these fritters but it doesn't come out well...besan inside the fritters didn't get cooked well, wasted 6 patties :(
Didn't tried toasting it in tawa/griddle as i don't want to waste the stuff again.