Macadamia, Apricot, Apple and Sage Sausage Rolls - (Free Recipe below)
- 500 g free-range pork mince/ground pork
- 1 brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 100 g macadamia nuts
- 150 g dried apricots
- 2 Granny Smith apples, grated
- Handful parsley and sage
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- Dash Hot sauce
- 4 sheets puff pastry (I used Careme brand)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 egg yolks and 1 tablespoon milk for egg wash
- Handful poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/350˚F.
- Line 3 large baking trays with non-stick parchment and set aside.
- Place pork mince in a large mixing bowl along with the chopped onion and minced garlic.
- Add macadamia nuts into the bowl of a food processor and blitz until fine (but not so much they are powdery ~ you want a finely chopped texture), add to the meat in the bowl and repeat with the dried apricots and herbs (in separate additions in the processor, not together), blitzing until they are both a fine texture similar to the nuts, add to the bowl along with the grated apple, mustard powder, BBQ sauce, hot sauce and a good seasoning of salt and freshly ground black pepper.Using clean hands, thoroughly combine all the ingredients in the bowl together.
- Set aside a pastry brush, a small bowl of water and your whisked egg wash on your counter-top, alongside the 4 sheets of puff pastry.
- Cut the pastry in half length-ways and then in turn cut each half again down the middle length-ways so you have 4 even-sized strips. Line these up beside each other and cut them in half cross ways so you have 8 pieces measuring approx. 6cm x 12cm each.
- Add a tablespoon sized lump of the meat filling to the bottom edge of each rectangle of pastry and roll up to secure, sealing with some cold water. Place on baking trays and brush with egg wash then sprinkle with poppy seeds. Repeat with the remaining sausage rolls, pastry sheets and meat filling.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes of until the pastry is cooked through on the under-side and the sausage rolls are golden and crispy.
- Serve hot or cold with tomato or BBQ sauce.
Makes 32 medium-sized sausage rolls.
They will keep in an air-tight tupperware container for 2-3 days. If you want to freeze them you can do so, before cooking.