- Serves 4 - 6
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 50 min
- 1 pound ground country pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped granny smith apples (about 2 apples peeled and cored)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cups cubed rustic day old bread
- 1 - 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces brie cheese rind removed, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Brown sausage in a large pan over medium heat. Remove. Strain excess grease. Set sausage aside.
- In the same pan that you browned the sausage in, melt the butter. Once melted stir in fennel, nutmeg, salt, apples and onions. Cook until apples and onions have softened. About 5 minutes.
- Stir in bread and sausage. Toss to coat bread completely in the butter. Pour in 1 cup of broth. Mix well. Pour in more broth if a softer stuffing is desired. Stir in diced brie.
- Transfer stuffing into preheated baking dish. Bake in oven for 35 - 40 minutes. Or until bread is browned and cheese is melted. Serve hot.