Kicked Up Chicken SLOPPY JOES
For the sloppy joes:
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle chile en adobo (or ¼ tsp chipotle powder)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ¼ lbs ground chicken, turkey, or beef
- 1 tsp canola oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz beer, such as a light ale or lager
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 warm hamburger buns (like these jalapeno cheddar buns)
- Sliced jalapenos, chopped cilantro, diced onion, grated cheddar or Monterey jack or crumbled queso fresco (all optional)
- Add the tomato sauce, chipotle chile (or powder), oregano, ground cumin, smoked paprika, allspice, cayenne and Worcestershire sauce to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Brown the ground meat in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain off the fat. Warm the canola oil in the pan with the browned meat then add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Pour the tomato mixture into the skillet along with the beer, ketchup and cilantro. Stir until well combined.
- Bring to a low simmer over medium heat then reduce the heat to medium-low heat and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve on warm buns with suggested toppings, if desired.