Jalapeno Popper Flatbreads
Crisp little flatbreads covered in seasoned cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, shaved Parmesan, crumbled bacon, sliced jalapeno peppers, and toasty panko breadcrumbs. A perfect appetizer or a meal!
Author: Heather Tullos
- You will need about 6 small (4" diameter) flatbreads OR cut 3 larger ones in half OR make your own!!
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup hot water
- Jalapeno Popper Toppings:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon onion powder.
- 4 ounces shredded sharp white cheddar (I always use Cabot!!)
- 2 ounces shaved Parmesan
- 2 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 large jalapenos, sliced
- 1 tablespoon panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- If you are making your own flatbreads, start by whisking together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Throw in the shortening and minced garlic and mix everything together with your fingers until coarse crumbs have formed. Pour in the hot water and stir everything together. Turn the shaggy dough out onto a cutting board or clean counter top and knead for about 3 minutes until a soft ball of dough forms. You can add more flour if your dough is too sticky, but I've never needed to. Place the dough ball back in the bowl and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Heat a large DRY skillet to medium high -- cast iron is best but non-stick works just fine. Divide the rested dough into 6 equal pieces and flatten each piece into a thin circle about ¼- 1/8" thick. Cook the flattened dough in the heated skillet, 1 minute per side and then an additional 30 seconds or so on the 1st side. Set the cooked flatbreads aside to cool slightly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450. If you have a pizza stone USE IT!! If not a baking sheet is fine.
- Combine the cream cheese and onion powder. Spread it over the top of each flatbread.
- Top each with the shredded cheddar, shaved Parmesan, crumbled bacon, and jalapeno slices.
- Mix together the panko breadcrumbs and olive oil and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of each flatbread.
- Bake them for 4-5 minutes, just until the cheese melts, the breadcrumbs toast, and the flatbreads start to crisp.
- Slice and serve.
Please note that if you are making the flatbreads from scratch you need to allow yourself about 45 minutes of extra preparation time-- about 6 or 7 minutes to make the dough, 20 minutes to let the dough rest, and 15 minutes or so to cook the flatbreads in the skillet. It IS a little extra work but the homemade flatbread is SOOOOO worth it.