Gruyere, Ham, and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese with Apple Balsamic Glaze
- 1 sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices Italian or French bread
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 slices quality deli ham
- 4 Tablespoons STAR Apple Balsamic Glaze
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes, or until onions are softened, shrunk, and deep golden brown in color. If onions start to burn, add a few drops of water to the pan. Remove from heat.
- Spread butter onto one side of each of the four slices of bread. Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Now build your sandwiches. Start with a slice of bread, top with 1-2 slices ham (depending on the size of your bread), ½ cup of Gruyere, a good handful of caramelized onions, and a drizzle of apple glaze. Top with the second slice of bread then place in the hot skillet. Grill until the bread is golden, flip, and then grill the opposite side until golden brown and the cheese is melty.