Gruyere and Ham Potato Stacks
Serves: 12 potato stacks
- 4-5 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 6 slices honey baked ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- Stack 3 slices of ham together and cut 4 squares to muffin tins (so you will have 12 squares). Repeat with other 3 slices for a total of 24 ham squares. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a very large microwave safe bowl (if you don't have a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter in a small bowl and transfer to large mixing bowl). Mix in olive oil and spices followed by potatoes. Toss potatoes until evenly coated.
- Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Layer 3 potatoes slices, 1 slice ham, approximately 1 tablespoon cheese, 3 more potato slices, 1 more slice of ham and finish with potatoes so the potato stack is slightly higher than the rim of the muffin tin.*
- Add cream to now empty spices/potato bowl and swirl to absorb any remaining spices. Spoon 1 tablespoon heavy cream over each stack of potatoes.
- Tent muffin tin with aluminum foil and bake at 375F degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake uncovered 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Broil cheese until melted and golden.
- Remove from oven and let baked potato stacks cool at least 5 minutes. There will be some extra cream/butter around the potato slices which is normal. Run a knife around the edges of each cup and lift out using a spoon onto a paper towel lined plate. Garnish with extra thyme through the center of each stack (as pictured) if desired. Best served warm.
*You don't need to be exact about this order - just include all the components with ham somewhat evenly spaced in the stack.
Carlsbad Cravings Original inspired by my Herbed Gruyere Scalloped Potatoes Bacon Au Gratin