Grilled Hummus and Caramelized Onion Sandwich
Author: Katy's Kitchen
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Add some variety to your grilled sandwiches with sweet caramelized onions and salty hummus.
- 1 small white onion
- 1-2 Tablespoons ghee, for frying*
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 Tablespoons hummus
- Pinch garam masala
- Add 1 TB of the ghee to a skillet and turn heat to medium.
- Slice the onion into thin, round slices and add to the skillet. The onions will take up most of the pan, but will cook down significantly. After a few minutes on medium, turn down the heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crispy (about 25 minutes).
- Spread both slices of bread with a thin layer of hummus. Sprinkle the garam masala over the hummus. Add the onions to one slice and sandwich closed.
- If necessary, add the rest of the ghee to the skillet. Place the sandwich on the skillet and fry until golden brown and crispy, about a minute on each side. Serve immediately.
Notes & Substitutions
*vegans sub: coconut oil, grapeseed, canola, etc.