GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES WITH BROCCOLINI, SAUTÉED RED ONIONS, & RED PEPPER FLAKES
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces broccolini (or substitute with broccoli rabe), sliced lengthwise (trim the ends of the stalks)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces grated fontina cheese
- 2 ounces grate d sharp cheddar cheese
- ~2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large thick slices of sourdough or whole-grain bread
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced red onion and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently. The onions should be soft and lightly caramelized--if they start to crisp too quickly, add a tablespoon of water to deglaze the pan and add moisture.
- Add the sliced broccolini to the skillet and continue to saute over medium heat for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the broccolini is fork tender. Add the red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt, and place mixture in a heatproof bowl and set aside. Clean and dry the skillet.
- Combine the grated cheeses together in a separate bowl. To assemble the sandwiches, spread butter (roughly 1/2 tablespoon) evenly onto the outside of each bread slice. Add a layer of cheese onto the bottom piece of bottom. Top with a layer of the vegetable mixture, and then add another handful of cheese. Add the top layer of bread.
- Heat the same skillet to medium-low heat. Cook the sandwiches until golden brown on each side, adjusting the heat as necessary. Slice sandwiches in half and serve immediately.