Gemelli with Asparagus and Sausage in a Ricotta Cheese Sauce
- 2 bunches of small or medium asparagus
- 1 lb gemelli
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season water with salt.
- Cut top 2 inches from asparagus stalks and add into boiling water. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Remove asparagus from water with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cold water bath.
- Bring asparagus water to a boil again. Add pasta and cook according to the directions on the package. Remove pasta with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. Reserve the pasta water.
- Heat a large skillet and cook the sausage and onion until meat is browned and onions are tender. Drain the fat. Add asparagus tips, cream, and salt; simmer for 2 minutes. Add pasta to the skillet. Add Ricotta, ground black pepper, 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water.
- Toss pasta in the skillet until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Add Parmigiana-Regiano and toss again.
- Transfer pasta to a serving dish and garnish with basil.