GARLIC BUTTER ITALIAN SAUSAGE SANDWICHES
Spicy tomato and sausage filling in a toasted garlic buttered bun and loaded with mozzarella and provolone cheese.
Author: Priya McHugh
Recipe type: Dinner
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp garlic paste (or 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely)
Italian Sausage Mixture:
- 1 lb ground italian sausage
- 1 14 oz can of tomato sauce
- ¼ cup red wine
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 4 sandwich or hot dog buns
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices of provolone cheese
- chopped red onion and basil for garnish
- For the butter, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Set aside until ready to use
- For the sausage mixture: brown the sausage in a large pan then add the tomato sauce and red wine. Let it simmer for 15 mins over medium low heat. Remove from heat and stir in chopped basil and salt to taste.
- When ready to serve, slather the butter over the inside and tops of buns. Toast in the oven until slightly browned and butter has melted. Remove from the oven and place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese into each bun followed by the italian sausage mixture. Then top each sandwich with 2 slices of provolone cheese and place under the broiler under cheese starts to bubble. Remove from oven.
- Top with chopped onions and basil and serve!