EGGPLANT PARMESAN CAPRESE SKILLET PIZZA
1 hour 5 mins
A delicious deep dish caprese skillet pizza, layered with crispy baked eggplant parmesan, fresh tomatoes, spinach, & basil, and creamy mozzarella cheese.
Author: The Crumby Cupcake
Serves: 4-6 servings
- Olive oil
- ½-3/4 pound of fresh pizza dough (depending on how thick you like your crust)
- 1 medium Chinese eggplant, peeled
- Kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 6 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 small tomatoes
- Fresh baby spinach
- Fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Balsamic vinegar
- Drizzle 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a cold cast iron skillet. Set a ball of pizza dough in the skillet and move it around in the oil, spreading it to coat the skillet and the bottom of the dough. Let the dough sit and rise while you prep your eggplant.
- Slice the eggplant into ½-inch slices. Toss in a colander with 1 teaspoon of salt, and let drain for 10 minutes. (This is to remove excess moisture so the finished product doesn't become soggy.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and Italian seasoning.
- Pat eggplant dry on paper towels; dip slices in egg mixture, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating well.
- Place on baking sheet and bake about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown on bottom. Turn slices and continue baking another 12-15 minutes, until the other side is evenly browned.
- Remove from oven, and raise oven heat to 450 degrees F.
- Press the dough evenly in the bottom and around the edges of the pan, pulling it up the just below the rim.
- Layer ingredients as follows: 3 Tablespoons marinara sauce and 6 slices of eggplant; ½ cup marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella; 6¼-inch slices of tomato and some baby spinach; remaining marinara sauce and 6 more eggplant slices; 6 half tomato slices, 8 half mozzarella slices, and Parmesan cheese.
- Cook the pizza on the stove top over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. This allows the bottom crust to become super crispy!
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until the top crust is a lovely light brown color, and the cheese is melty.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle basil ribbons on top. Now, you may either place the pizza under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese and dry the basil, or you may leave the basil fresh.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar on top of the pizza when ready to serve. Enjoy!