Author: April J Harris
Serves: Serves 2
- ½ cup white crab meat
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream (low fat is fine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of Monterey Jack cheese or Swiss cheese, or use Pepper Jack if you like a bit of spice
- a four or five inch slice of baguette, long French bread, or ciabatta bread, cut carefully in half lengthwise
- Put the French bread or ciabatta bread halves in the oven on a baking sheet at about 350°F (175°C) or under the broiler or grill for five minutes or until they are beginning to take on a bit of colour.
- Meanwhile, mix the crab meat with the mustard, red pepper, and celery.
- Add crème fraîche or sour cream as well as salt and pepper to taste. Mix together gently.
- Divide the crab mixture between the pieces of bread and top with the cheese slices.
- Return the crab and cheese topped bread to the oven for five to ten minutes, or place under the broiler or grill, until the cheese is bubbling and brown.
- The cheese gets very hot, so allow these to cool a bit before serving one half of the panini or ciabatta to each person, or cutting into small pieces to serve as hors d’oeuvres.