Coffee Caramelized Croissant French Toast Sticks
Prep Time: 15 minutes
7 tablespoons salted butter (almost a whole stick), at room temperature
6 tablespoons (or a 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup) brown sugar
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk (or whole milk)
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
fresh berries, for serving
Coffee Maple Syrup
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon instant coffee
Coconut Whipped cream (optional but highly recommend!)
1 (15 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk, cold
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Flip your cold can of coconut milk upside down and open it. There should be around 1/2 cup of coconut water at the top. Pour this into a container and save for another use. Scoop out the coconut cream and place in a bowl. Whip the cream for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft peaks form. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Place in the fridge while you make the french toast.
Coffee Maple Syrup
- Combine the syrup and coffee in a small saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Gentle cook the syrup until the mixture comes to a low boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer five minutes, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Slice the croissants into 2 to 3 long strips.
- Mix butter, brown sugar and instant coffee in a small bowl to combine.
- Whisk milk, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon in large bowl to combine
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar/butter mixture in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip croissant sticks a few at a time into egg mixture to coat. Add 4-6 sticks to the skillet. Cook until bottoms are deep brown, 2 to 3 minutes, turn and repeat until all sides have been caramelized adding more of the brown/sugar butter after every other flip. I turned my sticks about 3 times per stick. Divide French toast sticks among plates and sift powdered sugar over. Serve hot with coconut whipped cream, berries and the coffee maple syrup on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
*Caramelized French Toast Adapted from Bon Appetit