Chicken Enchilada Empanadas
Author: Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ½ cup enchilada sauce (store bought or homemade - recipe here), plus more for dipping
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water mixed together in small bowl
- Sour cream, cilantro, green onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together chicken and enchilada sauce.
- Roll out puff pastry sheet slightly and cut into 4-inch discs. (I used a mini tart pan as a guide) Roll scraps together and roll out again to make more discs. You should get about 15 discs.
- Place two heaping tablespoons of chicken mixture in the middle of each disc and sprinkle with about a tablespoon of cheese.
- Dot half of the disc with egg wash mixture and fold over, sealing edges. Place on a baking sheet lines with a silt pad or parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Using a fork, poke two sets of holes on top of each empanada to let steam escape while baking.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with extra enchilada sauce, green onions, sour cream and cilantro.