Cheddar cornmeal waffle BLTAs
(adapted from Martha Stewart)
Serves 3-4 (depending on the size of your waffle iron)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 6-8 slices thick applewood smoked bacon
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 4 leaves of lettuce
- 2 avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Place the bacon on a wire rack over the baking sheet so they aren’t touching. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until crispy.
- Preheat the waffle maker. Reduce oven temperature to 200ºF.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, milk, and butter.
- Add the egg and butter mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Fold in the grated cheese.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until just stiff. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Pour about 2/3 cup of batter into the waffle iron (more or less depending on the size of your waffle maker).
- Cook until no steam emerges from the waffle maker.
- Transfer the cooked waffles to the warm oven while you cook the rest of the waffles.
- Spread about 2-3 tablespoons of the avocado mash on the bottom piece of each waffle sandwich. Spread about ½ tablespoon of mayonnaise on the top piece of each waffle sandwich. Layer tomato slices, bacon, and lettuce in between the two prepared waffles and serve.