CARAMELIZED MUSHROOM GRILLED CHEESE
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced (cremini would be good too)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup red wine (white wine or broth would also work fine)
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 2 tbsp goats cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- Melt the butter and heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the bella mushrooms and saute until they start to caramelized and turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and Worcester sauce, deglaze the pan and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat to let cool a bit.
- Mix the cheeses into the mushrooms.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and place 2 in the pan buttered side down.
- Top each with 1/2 of the mushroom mixture and finally the remaining slices of bread with the buttered side up.
- Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking