CANDIED BACON-WRAPPED PINEAPPLE WITH HONEY-SRIRACHA SAUCE
Author: Chris Scheuer
Recipe type: Appetizer
- Ingredients for the Candied Bacon Wrapped Pineapple
- 10 strips thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
- 20 chunks fresh pineapple*
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- Ingredients for the Honey-Sriracha Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha**
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced fresh cilantro stems***
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Cut bacon strips in half width-wise.3. Put brown sugar on a large (dinner-size) plate.4. Wrap each pineapple chunk with bacon.
- Roll each bacon wrapped pineapple in brown sugar to coat. Pat a bit more sugar, if needed, to completely coat.
- Place rolls, seam side down, on prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Pieces near edges of pan may cook a bit faster. Check every few minutes towards the end of baking time and remove bacon rolls as needed.
- Place rolls on several thicknesses of paper toweling for just 1 minute, then transfer to serving platter.
- Serve on their own or with Honey-Sriracha Dipping Sauce.
- For the Honey-Sriracha Dipping Sauce, place all ingredients in a jar and shake till well-combined.
Can be made ahead. Refrigerate until ready to be used.
* Cut pineapple into rectangular chunks slightly smaller than the width of your bacon.
** Sriracha is a delicious hot sauce that's available in the Asian section of most larger grocery stores.
*** Cilantro stems are the most flavorful part of the herb. Finely sliced cilantro stems are wonderful for fresh sauces, since they don't wilt like the leaves do when combined with liquid ingredients.Makes 20 appetizers.