CAMP CHILI & CORNBREAD
- 3 pounds of ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 6-oz tomato paste
- 1 16-oz can of kidney beans or black beans
- 5 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of ground chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 can of beer (or water)
- 2 8.5-oz boxes of Jiffy cornbread (or any other corn bread mix you like)
- (eggs and milk for the Jiffy cornbread mix)
- Salt and black pepper
- Make a layer of hot coals on the ground.
- Place the dutch oven over the coals and allow the dutch oven to get hot.
- Cook the ground beef until it starts to brown, breaking up the meat with a spatula.
- Add the onions, garlic, and bell pepper and continue to cook until the vegetables are softened
- Add the chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Add the can of beer and beans and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the cornbread mix in a bowl and pour over the top of the chili.
- Place the lid on top of the dutch oven and place about 20 hot coals over the top of the lid.
- Cook for about 10 minutes and check to see if the cornbread is done cooking by lifting the lid and poking a skewer through the cornbread. If it comes out clean the chili is done.
(images by HonestlyYUM)