Breakfast Stuffed Pies with Sausage, Egg and Cheese
These Hand Pies have the quintessential breakfast combination of sausage, egg and cheese. Sometimes you just need some classic comfort food.
- oil (for cooking)
- 3 large sausages links (or 200 grams / 7 ounces of sausage meat)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg - additional, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper (plus extra for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (plus extra for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste according to the type of sausage links you use)
- 1-2 sheets puff pastry sheet (320 grams / 11 oz, depending on the brand you use) - thawed and ready to use
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (60 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/ 220°C.
- In a small bowl, beat together the 2 eggs and the 1 egg white. Set aside. In a small bowl, beat the single egg yolk and set aside for glazing the puff pastry.
- Heat a little oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Cut open the sausage casings and add the sausage meat to the skillet, breaking it apart with a spatula. Fry for about 5 minutes, until the sausage meat is cooked through.
- Push the sausage meat to the sides of the pan. Heat a bit more oil in the middle of the pan. Pour in the beaten eggs. Stir the eggs and sausage together, and add in the black pepper, fennel seeds and salt. Cook until the eggs are just set, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and mix in 1/4 cup of the cheese. Set aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet according to the directions on the packet. Cut into 8-12 (depending on the size of puff pastry sheet you use) 4-inch squares. If you have 8 squares, you may have a bit of leftover filling.
- Evenly distribute the sausage, egg and cheese filling across the puff pastry squares. Fold up the corners of each puff pastry square so they meet in the middle. Gently pinch together the four corners where they meet in the middle, and slightly flatten the filled pastry so it makes a square, distributing the sausage filling to the corners. Using a brush, brush each hand pie with the egg yolk. Evenly sprinkle on the remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese on top. Sprinkle on additional black pepper and fennel seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the hand pies are golden.