Breakfast Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound of pasta (I used cavatappi shaped pasta)
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, discard seeds and dice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 5 or 6 toasted breakfast biscuits, crumbled (homemade or the from the refrigerated aisle of the grocery store)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta to al dente and drain.
- In a large pan, cook sausage, crumbling it with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once no longer pink, remove it to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion, red pepper, and jalapeno to grease in pan and cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon onion mixture into bowl with sausage.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until thickened. Turn heat off and add ⅔ of the cheese. Stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta, and reserved sausage/onion mixture. Stir until evenly mixed. Pour into a buttered casserole dish or cast iron pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs together and then stir in the remaining cheese plus the crumbled biscuits. Pour this mixture on top of the mac and cheese.
- Place in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.