Boston Cream Pie Crepes
- 10-12 prepared breakfast crepes (find the recipe link above)
- For the Pastry Cream Filling:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- For the Chocolate Sauce:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp milk
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and whisk gently with a fork. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk. Cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken--about 5 minutes. Pour a spoonful of the sugar mixture into the whisked egg yolks and stir to combine. Repeat with a few more spoonfuls of sugar added into the egg yolks to temper the eggs. Then pour the entire egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and transfer to a medium size bowl. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Place heavy whipping cream in a bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cooled custard mixture.
- For the chocolate sauce:
- Heat chocolate chips, butter, and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat just until melted.
- Place a spoonful of the custard filling down the center of a prepared crepe. Drizzle with warm chocolate sauce. Repeat with remaining crepes and filling. Enjoy!