BLT Grilled Cheese
Want a better BLT sandwich? Make this BLT grilled cheese! Thick cut bacon, arugula and cheddar will make this the best grilled cheese you've ever eaten.
YIELD: 2 sandwiches
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Soften butter, for grilling
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 ounces freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 small handfuls arugula
- Place a rack in the upper third of your oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil, then set a baking rack on top. Lightly mist with the rack with cooking spray, then arrange the bacon in a single layer on top. Bake in the oven until crisp, 15 to 20 minutes, depending upon the thickness of your bacon. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and lightly pat dry. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium low. To make each sandwich, spread one side of a bread slice with butter, ensuring that you cover all the way to the edges. Spread the other side of the buttered slice with 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, then layer on half of the cheese, 2 strips of cooked bacon, tomato slices, and a small handful of arugula. Spread another slice of bread with Dijon mustard, then place it mustard-side down on top of the arugula. Butter the remaining topside of the bread. Repeat for the second sandwich.
- Once the skillet is warm, cook the sandwiches on each side, until the bread is golden and the cheese melted, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Be patient and resist the urge to turn up the skillet heat—low and slow will ensure a golden toast and gooey center. Transfer to a plate, let cool a few minutes, slice, and enjoy.