Balsamic Vinegar and Honey Pulled-Pork Sliders
- 12 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 3/4cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 medium)
- 1teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2cup chicken broth
- 1cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4cup ketchup
- 1/3cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4cup honey
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 20sliders buns or small round dinner rolls, split and toasted
- Purchased deli coleslaw
- Sweet or dill pickles, coarsely chopped
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. In the cooker combine onion and sweet pepper. Add meat; sprinkle with thyme and rosemary. Pour broth over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, for barbecue sauce, in a medium saucepan combine vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, black pepper, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board. Use two forks to pull meat apart into shreds, discarding any fat. Strain vegetable mixture, discarding liquid. Return shredded meat and vegetables to cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce. Cover and cook for 1 hour on low-heat setting.
- To serve, spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms. Top with coleslaw and pickles. Cover with bun tops.