Baked Eggs in Stuffed Peppers with Sweet Potato Hash
SERVES: SERVES 6
- 3 sweet bell peppers, red, orange or yellow
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into a large dice, about 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup brandy
- ½ cup Ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F°.
- Cut peppers in half and remove ribs and seeds. Place cut side up in shallow microwave safe bowl or dish. Add ⅓ cup water to bowl. Sprinkle peppers with kosher salt and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat and melt butter and olive oil. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add butternut squash, thyme leaves and kosher salt and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add brandy. Return to heat and cook for 4-5 more minutes until brandy has cooked down and squash has softened and is easily pierced with a fork. Keep warm and add Ricotta and Feta cheese. Taste and season with more salt if desired.
- Pour marinara sauce in bottom of 9 x 12 inch baking dish. Place peppers cut side up and spoon ½ to ¾ cup of butternut squash mixture into each pepper, creating a hollow for egg. Bake peppers and squash mixture for 10 minutes or until warmed through. Remove from oven.
- Carefully break egg into small ramekin or measuring cup and slowly pour into each pepper taking care not to overflow egg. Repeat until each pepper is filled.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and bake peppers for 10-12 minutes or until whites of eggs are set. Serve each pepper with marinara sauce and extra feta cheese if desired.