Avocado & Steak Breakfast Burritos with Salsa Verde
Steak and Avocado Breakfast Burritos are the ultimate breakfast food. Warm flour tortillas filled with potatoes, eggs, avocado, cheese and grilled steak!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 thin New York strip steak
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large baking potatoes, cooked
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 avocado, thinly sliced
- salsa verde (recipe follows)
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and throw in the butter and oil and allow to melt. Season the steak on both sides with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Carefully place the steak in the hot skillet. Brown for about 4 to 5 minutes on the first side, or until browned. Flip over and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes on the second side. Transfer to a plate and allow to rest.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl with the milk, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
- You can cook the potatoes in the microwave for about 10 minutes or in a pot of boiling water until just barely tender. Allow to cool before handling. Carefully peel the cooked and cooled potatoes with a pairing knife. Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the potatoes and spread them out into a single layer. Season with remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper and with granulated garlic, granulated onion, and paprika. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until hot and crispy. Add the whisked eggs to the hot griddle and cook until no longer runny. Stir in the chopped steak and cook for another minute to heat through.
- Warm the tortillas in a dry skillet or on the stove over the gas burner to make them pliable and soft. Fill each with sliced avocado, the potato/egg mixture and lots of cheese. Fold and roll into a burrito. Serve hot with salsa verde. Enjoy!
- yields: 4 breakfast burritos