Zucchini Dip Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
What a great way to take advantage of all the great tasting summer zucchini! The list of ingredients is simple, but this dip has so many layers of flavor and a wonderful texture. It's a keeper! One of the gals in my church, Lilly, shared her family's zucchini dip with us and it was love at first dip.
Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Skill Level: Varies by season
Cost To Make: Easy/Medium
Serving: 8-10 as an appetizer
- 4 or 5 small/medium zucchini/squash (about 2½ lbs)
- 2 med/large tomatoes (1 lb)
- 1 hand-full fresh basil (about 2 Tbsp chopped)
- 16 oz cream cheese (= two 8 oz packages)
- 2 cloves of garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- Crackers, chips, or fresh French bread to serve
- Pulse tomatoes in a food processor several times or until coarsely chopped. You can also finely dice tomatoes by hand if you don't have a food processor.
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add finely chopped tomatoes, 2 pressed garlic cloves and 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil. Simmer covered for 10 min, stirring occasionally and pressing on any larger tomato pieces to soften them. The mixture should look like a tomato sauce when done.
- Cut off and discard ends of zucchini and shred zucchini on the large holes of a grater. I used the grater attachment on my food processor and it sure was quick! Add grated zucchini to the cooked tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Increase heat to medium/high, cover with lid and cook for 20-23 minutes, stirring occasionally or until zucchini are fully softened.
- Add 16 oz cream cheese pieces and stir until fully melted into the zucchini mixture. It will be creamy. If your dip seems too thick, you can thin it out a little with hot water. Season with ½ tsp salt and ⅛ tsp black pepper, or to taste and serve hot or warm. This re-heats beautifully, just stir in a drizzle of water and heat it up on the stove-top.