Wild Blackberry Vanilla Cupcakes with Sugared Vanilla Icing - One Dozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- In a mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy (a few minutes).
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir dry mixture into wet (butter) mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 3 of buttermilk.
- Fold in 2 cups of blackberries.
- Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measurer, scoop batter into a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, until cake tester (toothpicks or skewers work well too), inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in muffin tins for about 5 minutes, then remove and let cool completely before adding icing.
- Icing recipe can be found here .
- Pipe a swirl of icing on top of cupcake, and roll the iced cupcakes in a bowl of sanding sugar. Top with a blackberry or decoration of choice and enjoy!