Whiskey Pulled Pork Shepherd’s Pie with Cheddar Biscuit Crust
Author: The Kitchen Whisperer
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbl butter, unsalted cold and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup cream plus 1-3 Tbl if necessary
- 2 Tbl chives
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, divided
- 3 cups Whiskey Pulled Pork *See note
- 1 cup Whiskey BBQ Sauce, divided *See note
- 2 cups Perfect Mashed Potatoes, warmed (you want your mashed potatoes a little thicker)
- Preheat oven to 350F rack in the middle.
- Spray a glass 9" deep dish pie dish or casserole dish.
- In a bowl add in your flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and chives and gently whisk.
- Add in the butter and using a Pastry Cutter (or a fork, or your fingers), cut in the butter to where you have little pea sized chunks.
- Pour in the cream and starting with a wooden spoon gently combine the liquid.
- Pour the mixture (should be crumbles at this point) on to a lightly floured surface.
- Slowly add in 1/2 cup cheese and mix it into the dough. You want to be able to gather the dough together, squeeze it, and have it hang together easily, without dry bits falling off. If it’s not doing this, add a Tbl or 2 more cream. You want the dough to be tacky but not wet/sticky. Do NOT overwork the dough as it’ll get tough. This step should take no more than a min or two at most.
- Wetting your hands (this makes it easier to put the dough into the pan), pat the dough down into the bottom of the pie dish and all the way up the sides. The dough should be a good 1/4 - 1/2” thick all the way around. I liked having a thicker top crust.
- Pat the dough so it’s even with the top of the pie plate.
- Add in pulled pork and layer that evenly on the bottom of the crust.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup bbq sauce on top.
- Sprinkle 2 cups shredded cheddar on top.
- Using a spatula gently spread out 2 cups of mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden brown.
- To get crispy peaks on the potatoes broil for 1-3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing.
For the Whiskey Pulled Pork and BBQ Sauce only follow the recipe on how to make the pork and sauce. You do not need the dough portion of the recipe