Western Bacon Burgers with BBQ Mayo and Crispy Onion Strings
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ white onion
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked til crisp
- 4 hamburger buns
- optional: lettuce and cheese
- Thinly slice onion. (The slices should be thin enough that you should be able to see the knife through the end of the onion where you're slicing). Place onion slices in a shallow dish and pour buttermilk over the onions. Move them around so they are all in the buttermilk, but they don't have to be completely covered. Let them soak for about 10 minutes. (Use this time to cook your bacon or slice your avocados!)
- In bowl combine flour, salt, garlic power, paprika, and cayenne pepper and wish until well mixed. Dip the onions in the flour mixture, tossing to coat. Put them all in a bowl.
- Fill a pan with ½ inch of oil. Preheat oil to 300 degrees. Use tong to place coated onions in the hot oil. After about 30-40 seconds, turn them over once and cook another 30-40 seconds. Place fried onions on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Preheat grill. Shape ground beef into 4 equal sized patties. Grill burgers 4-5 minutes on each side until desired doneness is reached.
- Whisk together mayo and bbq sauce. Spread some bbq mayo on the inner sides of hamburger buns. Top with grilled hamburgers, avocados, bacon, and fried onions. Serve immediately.
*onion strings adapted from Pioneer Woman