The Southern Burger
Juicy grilled burgers topped with two southern favorites: pimento cheese and fried green tomatoes.
- For the burgers
- 4 burger buns
- 4 ground beef patties (~1/3 lb each)
- 1/2 cup Pimento cheese
- For the fried green tomatoes:
- 2-3 green tomatoes, sliced ~1/3-inch thick
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- Olive or vegetable oil, for frying (mister recommended)
- Heat your grill to high.
- To make the tomatoes, heat a non stick pan sprayed with oil over medium high heat.
- Add flour, cornmeal, a pinch of salt and pepper to a ziptop bag and shake to mix well.
- Add tomato slices and shake to coat.
- Fry tomato slices in batches until golden brown on each side. (Add additional oil between batches.)
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate until ready to assemble burgers.
- Each side of the hamburger patties should get a dash of Worcestershire and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook the patties to desired doneness.
- Before removing them from the grill, top each with ~2 Tbsp of pimento cheese and let cook 1 minute more to melt the cheese.
- To assemble the burger, top the bottom bun with the cooked burger, fried green tomato slices, lettuce, and any condiments of choice.
Yields: 4 servings