Teriyaki Pineapple Chicken Sandwiches with Honey Cotija Avocado Spread
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 buns
Honey Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 coves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 recipe Cotija Honey Lime Avocado Spread
- 4 slices pepper Jack cheese (I use spicy hot Pepper Jack)
- red onion
- To marinate chicken and pineapple: Pound chicken to about ½ inches thick. The chicken breasts should be a little larger than your buns. Whisk all of the marinade/sauce ingredients together except for the cornstarch and add 1/4 cup of the marinade to a large freezer bag and add chicken. To a separate freezer bag, add the remaining marinade along with pineapple. Marinate 4 hours up to overnight.
- GRILL DIRECTIONS: When ready to make sandwiches, preheat the barbecue or indoor grill to medium heat. Add chicken to grill and cook for 4-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through, adding cheese the last couple minutes after flipping. When you flip the chicken, add the pineapple slices, to the grill. Cook 1-2 minutes per side. The chicken will be cooked shortly after the pineapple is done. To toast the buns, place the buns face down on the top rack of your grill, close the lid and buns should be toasted in less than a minute.
- SKILLET/INDOOR DIRECTIONS: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a non stick over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Flip chicken, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. To cook pineapple, add slices to heated skillet and cook approximately 2 minutes per side. To toast buns, place them face up on an oven rack and broil for 30 seconds or until golden.
- To make Honey Teriyaki Sauce: Whisk 1 tablespoon cornstarch to reserved marinade/sauce that you removed pineapple from. Add to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until thickened, about 30 seconds.
- To assemble, layer chicken covered in cheese, smear with Cotija Honey Lime Avocado Spread, then stack tomatoes, drizzle with Honey Teriyaki Sauce and finish topping red onions and lettuce.