STUFFED TOMATO CHEESE BALLS – DECONSTRUCTING CAPRESE
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh Mozzarella
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 large egg (or 3 tbsp of corn starch made into a thin batter using water)
- 1 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Cut the tops of the cherry tomatoes and scoop out the insides.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together and stuff them into the scooped out tomatoes.
- Beat the egg or prepare the corn-starch batter. Spread out the bread crumbs onto a platter.
- Roll the tomatoes in the egg/batter. Roll them in the bread crumb platter.
- Repeat step 4.
- Use your hands to lightly dust off the excess bread crumbs.
- Add the coated stuffed tomatoes into hot oil.
- Flip them gently to make sure they get fried evenly on all sides.
- Once they turn golden, drain them onto paper towels.
- Keep an eye on them when getting fried. If allowed to stay in hot oil for long, the cheese begins to ooze out.
- Use one of the multiple serving ideas for these deconstructed Caprese balls.
You could try your hand at coating it with Panko or plain bread crumbs too.
If you are a fan of garlic-y flavors, add some garlic powder into the cheese stuffing.