Schwäbische Käsespätzle (German Macaroni and Cheese)
: The Daring Gourmet, www.daringgourmet.com
Serves: Serves 6
- 1 batch Homemade German Spätzle (can be made in advance and refrigerated until ready use, then let warm to room temperature before baking). Can also use a large bag of store-bought, but homemade strongly recommended.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 very large onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 12 ounces shredded Emmentaler or Jarlsberg (combine some Gruyere for extra flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a 9x13 (or a little smaller) casserole dish.
- Layer ⅓ of the Spätzle in the bottom of the dish followed by ⅓ of the cheese and ⅓ of the caramelized onions. Repeat, sprinkling each layer with some salt, ending with cheese and onions on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes or longer until the cheese is melted and the edges are just beginning to get a little crispy.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes great leftovers.