This recipe from an old Better Homes and Garden cookbook is a favorite my mom would make for my dad at holidays. My mom adapted it a little by decreasing the amount of cracker crumbs and increasing the amount of butter. I make it for my dad now, and I have found that I like it too.
- Drain oysters, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Combine crumbs and butter.
- Spread 1/3 of crumbs in a greased shallow 8-inch pan.
- Cover with half of the oysters.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Using another third of crumbs, spread a second layer; cover with remaining oysters.
- Sprinkle again with pepper.
- Combine cream, oyster liquid, Worcestershire, and salt.
- Pour over the oysters.
- Top with the last of the crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 40 minutes.