Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Carbonara
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 50 minutesServings: 4
Roasted asparagus and mushrooms in a creamy and cheesy egg sauce with plenty of fresh cracked black pepper.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fettuccine (or pasta of choice)
- 4 ounces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces or 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- plenty of fresh cracked black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Toss the asparagus and mushrooms in the oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing half way through.
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Cook the bacon in a pan, pour off all but a tablespoon of the grease from the pan, add the garlic, cook for 30 second and turn off the heat.
- Mix the egg, cheese, pepper and salt and parsley in a bowl.
- Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
- Mix the pasta, egg mixture, asparagus and mushrooms into the pan with the bacon, adding reserved pasta water as needed.
Note: To speed things up, about 20 minutes into roasting the asparagus and mushrooms, get your pot of water for the pasta on the stove and start bringing it to a boil.
Option: Replace the parmigiano reggiano with pecorino romano.