Ricotta and Spinach Calzones
Author: Kitschen Cat
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Recipe is from America's Test Kitchen "The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook"
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons water, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lbpizza dough
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, oil, egg yolk, garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and divide into 4 even pieces.
- With a rolling pin or your hands, flatten each piece into a 7 inch round on a piece of parchment paper.
- Spread half of spinach filling evenly over half of each dough round, making sure to leave a 1 inch border around the edge.
- Brush the edges with the egg wash and then folkd the other half of the dough circle over spinach mixture, leaving the bottom ½ inch border uncovered.
- Press edges of dough together and pinch with fingers to seal.
- With a sharp knife, cut 5 steam vents in top of calzones and brush tops with remaining egg wash.
- Transfer calzones onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, brush with any remaining egg wash and sprinkle with grated parmesan, then bake for another 7 minutes.
- Move to wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.