serves 10 - 12
- 1 1/2 C warm water
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 -5 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C baking soda
- 3 quarts water
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse salt
- cheese sauce:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (I used a combination of regular and sharp cheddar)
1. combine first 4 ingredients in a stand mixer and set aside for 5 minutes.
2. add in salt and slowly add in flour, up to 4 1/2 cups until combined. mix on low then increase speed until dough begins to form a ball and pull away from the sides. if dough still looks sticky, add a little flour.
3. remove from the bowl and knead into a ball on a floured surface.
4. drop olive oil into a bowl, then place the dough ball in, covering in oil. cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double it’s size. preheat oven to 425 degrees.
6. bring water to boil in a large pot and add baking soda.
7. divide dough into 4 sections and roll each out into a long strip. cut 1-1.5 inches a part and leave or roll into balls. drop into boiling soda water for 15-30 seconds, about 10 at a time.
8. spread onto a parchment covered cookie sheet, brush each with a bit of beaten egg, sprinkle coarse salt on top, and bake until brown on top. about 8-10 minutes.
melt butter and stir in flour. quickly add milk and whisk. add garlic, pepper and jalapeño and then remove from heat. immediately stir in the cheese until melted. eat right away!