Pimento Grilled Cheese + Fried Pickles
Yield: 2 sandwiches
For the fried pickles:
- 12 dill pickle slices
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1½ cups neutral oil (I use canola)
For the pimiento cheese:
- ½ cup Duke's mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons diced jarred pimientos
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh onion
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Kerrygold aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 slices thick bread
- 1 tablespoon Kerrygold butter, for grilling
- First, fry the pickles: heat the oil in a small but deep pot or a skillet. Clamp a thermometer to the pan, and let the oil heat to 375.
- Meanwhile, dry off the pickles very well with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, and black pepper. In another small bowl, add the buttermilk.
- When the oil has reached 375, bread the pickles by dipping them in the buttermilk, then the cornmeal mixture. Fry 4 at a time, removing them from the oil when the are golden brown and crispy, about 90 seconds.
- Let the fried pickles drain on a paper towel.
- Make the pimiento cheese: combine all ingredients (except the bread and butter) and stir well.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a skillet large enough to fit all of the bread slices. Toast the bread on one side, flip, and divide the pimiento cheese mixture between two slices. Stack the extra bread slices on top of the pimiento cheese, and flip and grill until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve pimiento grilled cheese stacked high with fried pickles.