Mini Sweet Potato Cheddar and Chorizo Sheperds Pies
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, mince or grated
3/4 pound ground chorizo
1 red pepper, chopped
1 orange pepper, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained if using canned
1 cup spinach, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for topping
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup milk
1 chipotle chili in adobo, minced
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon honey
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 avocado, diced, for serving
crumbled Cotija cheese, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a fork prick the sweet potatoes all over and place in the oven. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Remove from the oven and add to a large bowl, if desired peel away the skins (I left most of the skin on mine). Add the butter and milk and mash mash mash until they’re, well mashed! Add the chipotle chili, cinnamon, honey,cheddar cheese and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mash some more and get it super creamy.
- In the meantime heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high. Add the onions and sauté until they start to soften, 4 minutes. Add the chorizo and brown the meat all over, breaking it up as you go. Add the red pepper, orange pepper, carrots and jalapeno. Cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until the veggies are soft and begin to caramelize. Add the chicken broth and tomato paste, cook another 5 minutes and then stir in the spinach, black beans and cilantro. Cook another minute or so and then remove from the heat.
- Then divide the chorizo filling evenly among 4 ramekins. Spoon the mashed sweet potatoes on top of each pie. Arrange them on a baking sheet and slide into the oven for about 20 minutes or so.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, diced avocado + crumbled cotija. Serve!