LIGHTENED UP SUNDRIED TOMATO FETTUCCINE ALFREDO
- 16 oz. fettuccine noodles
- 2 tablespoons oil from sundried tomatoes in oil jar
- 1/2 cup sundried tomato halves, drained and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I use lowfat)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cups shredded mozzarella
- freshly grated Parmesan
- fresh basil
- Cook fettuccine in salted water according to package directions. Strain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons sundried tomato oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add sundried tomatoes, garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for one minute. Sprinkle in flour and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Turn heat to low and stir in chicken broth. Whisk cornstarch with milk and add to pan along with tomato paste, basil, parsley, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer and continue to cook and stir until sauce is thickened (but not overly thick), approximately 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cream cheese until melted, followed by Parmesan cheese until melted. Keep heat on low until fettuccine is done cooking, then stir in mozzarella cheese until melted then fettuccine until evenly coated.
- Taste and season with additional salt, pepper and/or red pepper flakes to taste. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese, and fresh basil if desired (optional).