makes 16 donuts
adapted from My Madison Bistro
for the crust
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a donut pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine all three ingredients together, mixing until fully combined. Press a small amount of mixture into the bottom of each individual donut cavity, just enough to cover the bottom. Make for 3-4 minutes, or until the crust has browned and isn’t sticky to the touch. Set aside.
for the donut
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1/2 tbsp key lime zest
1-1/2 tbsp key lime juice
1 drop of green food coloring (optional)
1 cup cake flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. In a medium-sized bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and egg yolk, mixing until combined. Stir in key lime zest and juice, and one or two drops of green food coloring until you reach your desired shade.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder and soda, and salt. Add half of this mixture to the green batter, and then stir in the buttermilk. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined.
3. Fill donut pans 2/3 of the way full (about 2 tablespoons of donut batter on top of the graham cracker crust). Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the donuts spring back when lightly touched. Let cool completely before removing from the pan.