HOMEMADE HASH BROWNS WITH EGGS BENEDICT
Author: Pantry Full of Recipes
- 1 cup grated potato
- ½ cup julienned onion
- ½ cup julienned red pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Prep the ingredients: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees to keep the potato pancakes warm while you make the Eggs Benedict. Wash and dry the produce. Grate the potato, onion and red pepper.
- Make the Hash Browns: In a bowl, mix the potato, onion and red pepper with egg and flour. In a 12-inch pan, heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Shape the hash browns into 4 inch circles. Fry on each side for 4 minutes until golden brown. Place in the oven to keep warm while you make the Eggs Benedict.
- Make the Hollandaise Sauce: Melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in the microwave for 1 minute, make sure it has completely melted. In a blender, blend one egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice for 10 seconds. Turn the blender on high and pour the butter steadily into the sauce. Place the blender in hot water to keep the sauce warm until serving.
- Poach the Eggs: Fill a pot with enough water to cover the egg while cooking. Heat the water until the water is simmering. There will be small bubbles under the water, yet it has not started to boil. If the water starts to boil, reduce the heat till it is simmering. Add the white vinegar to the water. Crack your egg in a bowl. Using a slotted spoon, swirl the water in a circle. Once the water pace has slowed a little, pour the egg into the center of the swirling circle. Cook the egg for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the egg with the slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- On a plate, layer the hash brown, poached egg and top with hollandaise sauce. Enjoy!