- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar $
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups julienne-cut peeled carrot (about 4 medium)
- 1 1/4 pounds eggplant
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil $
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter $
- 1/4 cup minced green onions $
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons yellow miso (soybean paste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice $
- 1 (16-ounce) French bread baguette, cut in half horizontally $$
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber $
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves $
- Thinly sliced jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add carrot; let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- 3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Cut eggplant stem off. Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices; brush with oil. Grill 7 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- 4. Combine peanut butter, onions, ginger, miso, and juice in a bowl; stir well.
- 5. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Place bread on a baking sheet, cut sides up. Bake at 375° for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Spread bottom half of bread with peanut butter mixture. Arrange eggplant evenly over peanut butter mixture. Arrange carrot mixture and cucumber evenly over eggplant; top with cilantro and jalapeño, if desired. Place top half of bread on sandwich. Cut into 5 equal pieces.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.