Greek Yogurt Macaroni and Cheese
- ½ lb. dry elbow macaroni (brown rice or whole wheat works great)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. All-Purpose Flour
- ½ c. Milk - Reduced fat, 2%
- 1 t. Salt
- ¼ t. Pepper
- ¾ c. Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 1 c. Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 T. panko breadcrumbs (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until it shimmers.
- Add in the flour and stir briskly with a whisk to form a roux. Let the roux cook for about 1 minute while constantly stirring.
- Slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly with the whisk.
- When the sauce is completely smooth, add in the salt, pepper, and monterrey jack cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture is very smooth.
- Remove from heat and let the cheese cool slightly before adding in the greek yogurt and whisking together until very smooth.
- With the pan still off the heat, add the cooked pasta and ½ c. of the cheddar cheese to the sauce. Stir with a spatula until all the pasta is coated in sauce and shredded cheese.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Top with remaining shredded cheddar and panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven just until the cheese on top is completely melted, about 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!