Ginger Plum Chicken
Author: Robin Gagnon
- 3 strips of bacon (center cut or trimmed)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced prunes
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- 1 tbs oil
- 1½ lbs boneless chicken thighs, trimmed & cut into approx 3x3" chunks
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbs low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 bay leaves
- Place dutch oven or pot over med-high heat. Chop the bacon into small bits and drop into pan. Once it starts brown and render fat, add the onion and garlic. Stir.
- Once the onion and garlic are cooked add the prunes, ginger, cinnamon and cayenne, cook for a minute, then reserve to a bowl and set aside.
- Pout the oil into pan (still on med-high), then drop chicken into pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes until starting to brown, then flip and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to pan, stir to deglaze, and add the bacon/prune mixture back to pan, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to low-med and cook for 5 minutes, then take off burner and seal up in Wonderbag.
- Allow to slow cook for 3-4 hours, then serve over rice or bulgur or pull the chicken and serve in sandwiches or tacos shells.