FRIED GNOCCHI WITH GARLIC & PARMESAN
Author: Ciao Chow Bambina
Recipe type: Dinner
- 2½ lbs. russet potatoes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Peel and quarter potatoes and add to pot.
- Cook until tender but still firm, about 20 minutes.
- Drain, cool, and rice potato with a ricer, mill, or fork.
- Put flour on a clean, dry surface and create a well in the center.
- Place cooled, riced potato in the center of the well.
- Create a well in the center of the potato and add the egg and salt.
- Combine the ingredients using a fork until they form a dough.
- Knead the dough until a ball forms.
- Shape the ball into a rectangle and cut eight, four inch, pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long 'snake'.
- Cut each snake into 1½ inch pieces.
- Roll each piece over the tines of a fork or make an indent in the center with your thumb.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Drop in gnocchi and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until the gnocchi float to the top.
- In the meantime, add two Tbsp. olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes to a skillet and heat.
- Drain and add gnocchi to the skillet.
- Fry for about 2 minutes, making sure to flip until gnocchi are browned and crisp on both sides.
- Serve with an extra splash of olive oil and grated Parmesan.