French Potato Gratin
1 hour 10 mins
1 hour 30 mins
A exquisite creamy potato casserole kissed with garlic, thyme and topped with Gruyere cheese!
Recipe type: Side Dish, Potatoes
Serves: 8 servings
- 1¾ cups heavy cream
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2¼ pounds potatoes, peeled, cut into ⅛-inch-thick rounds (I use Yukon gold or russets)
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Whole milk, if needed
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- Preheat to 350°. Generously butter 2 quart baking dish. Place pie dish on rimmed baking sheet. Combine cream and garlic in small saucepan and bring to simmer over low heat. Cover and remove from heat.
- Arrange ⅓ of potato rounds, slightly overlapping, in the prepared baking dish; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon thyme and season lightly with salt and pepper. Pour ½ cup garlic cream over. Repeat layering 2 more times with remaining potato, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic cream. Pour remaining garlic cream over, then ¼ cup milk. Sprinkle cheese over the surface.
- Bake gratin until golden on top and potatoes are very tender when a sharp knife is inserted, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes (cover with foil if the top starts browning too quickly). Let the potatoes rest 10 minutes before serving.