Eggplant Parmesan Pasta Bake
Not all comfort food is terrible for you. This version of Eggplant Parmesan is lighter on fat, heavy on flavor.
Calories: 331.8 | Fat: 10.4g | Fiber 8.9g | Protein 12.9g | Carbs 49.5g
- 8 oz dry pasta (I used whole wheat)
- Olive oil
- ~3 lbs eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 1/4 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) shredded Parmesan
- Basil leaves
- Lightly grease a casserole dish and a baking sheet (two sheets, if your eggplant is soccer ball-sized).
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook the pasta for half the time suggested on the package and then drain.
- Add the pasta to the casserole dish along with 3/4 cup of marinara sauce, stirring to mix. Top with another 3/4 cup marinara
- Brush each side of the eggplant rounds with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes, flip and roast for 15 minutes more.
- Place half of the eggplant rounds over the pasta and top with half the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Spread the remaining 3/4 cup marinara over top, followed by the remaining eggplant, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is brown and bubbling.
- Serve topped with basil, if desired.
Yields: ~6 servings